cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASOS x LUSH statement

YsorandomxP
Groovy Kind of Lushie

I know there has been some discussion about this the past couple of days but i haven't seen this article released by Lush shared in here yet so i figured i might be the one to do it lol.

https://weare.lush.com/lush-life/our-staff-room/lush-x-asos/?fbclid=IwAR0L60wOzJ3_GZNdxUa4kfxHpt_kFN...

As many of you i feel very conflicted. I understand what Lush is going for, but it coming out of the blue with tons of people being left in the dark feels a bit weird to me. I'm glad it's only a trial period of 6 months as i think Lush might want to reconsider their position after this period of time due to the fan dissapointment that is forming now, if they haven't been able to help ASOS become more ethical. That being said i hope it opens the doors to plenty of conversations in the fast fashion space on how one can become more ethical as a bussiness while still providing affordable, quality products. 

#TeamGrannyTakesADip
1 Accepted Solution

Scottie
Groovy Kind of Lushie

Thanks for sharing! I certainly feel better about the collab after reading this. It's good to see Lush consulted with independent third parties to check how ethical asos is. Although they did gloss over the fact that asos is still a fast fashion company. I hope the partnership will expend Lush's customer base and we will all benefit from it.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Nell13
Bathing Master

The statement reads of pure sellout, we want our cut of their 18 million customers, to hell with the loyal 1.5 million we already have.

The bigger worry is if this is the direction of travel what else is going to be sold out next?

Think I'll be cancelling my subscriptions for the next 6 months.

YsorandomxP
Groovy Kind of Lushie

I don't read it as being a sellout, i read it as market strategy. You can't be mad at a company trying to grow and expand after a difficult 2 years during a global pandemic. If Lush didn't have the casual buyers then it wouldn't still be afloat right now and i bet my bottom dollar that most people who buy Lush don't care about the ethics and buy fast fashion anyways so i don't think it's a bad idea to reach those people trough a platform that they most likely already use and stear them to a more ethical option. If they announced that they would be partnering with Amazon for example then i think that would've been a way bigger issue and conflict of interest but i sincirely hope that Lush will have discussions with ASOS on how to become more ethical (wich seems like they are already trying). 

Is it ideal? No, not by any means. Like the Author of one of the previous posts about this topic mentioned: A company can only be ethical to a certain degree, paired with the fact that we shouldn't forget that Lush is a global company with over 950 something stores and hundreds of thousands of employees. 

This doesn't mean you can't be upset btw, i totally understand your frustration and i am emotionally conflicted as well. The sad truth is that the loyal 'Lushies' ultimately don't own any power even tho we like to believe that Lush listens to us. A forum with, what? 1k members just shows how outnumbered we are and where Lush has to place their focus instead.

#TeamGrannyTakesADip

It most definitely is a sellout, the definition of which is: 'a betrayal of one's principles for reasons of expedience' the fact that it's attached to a marketing campaign, after what may potentially have been a bad year is neither here nor there.  You are correct that there are potentially worse companies that they could have collaborated with but there are definitely companies more aligned to their principles that the could have collaborated with too.

The power we do have is to vote with our feet and leave them to their ASOS customers.

we are Lushes biggest and brightest 😄 #JUNKIES 

Scottie
Groovy Kind of Lushie

Thanks for sharing! I certainly feel better about the collab after reading this. It's good to see Lush consulted with independent third parties to check how ethical asos is. Although they did gloss over the fact that asos is still a fast fashion company. I hope the partnership will expend Lush's customer base and we will all benefit from it.

View solution in original post

YsorandomxP
Groovy Kind of Lushie

Exactly! i was very confused untill i read there statement and that cleared most things up for me aswell. It's not an ideal situation but we don't live in an ideal world. I trust Lush to know what they are doing because they know what kind of backlash they will get if this collab goes wrong. 

#TeamGrannyTakesADip

penguin89
Bathing Master

Still not convinced Lush is EXPENSIVE and Asos markets itself as cheap. Either the products are going to be cheaper on Asos (in which case who needs to pay full price?) or they won't be and they'll be harder to sell. 

Still annoyed about the item in the box too. I don't pay to be advertised to by different companies. Feels shady they would just put it in the box and they haven't answered if any of the money goes to Asos yet. Feels like they got lazy on the final surprise item or took cash to put in an Asos branded item, either isn't great. 

The writing(?) on the bath bomb made me come and look for this explanation. I think it’s really odd I haven’t heard more about this, almost as though it’s gone through under the radar. ASOS might have a decent score as a brand but they sell many other brands that don’t. I feel like some of this decision is well intentioned and the rest is all for money. Everyone knows what Lush is. It’s a high street staple brand. They could reach a larger international audience on their own, but they don’t. I feel like over the years the brand has changed a lot. Moving with the times maybe, but so many amazing and unusual scents and products get discontinued to make way for pretty ‘meh’ products in replacement. I will always love lush but I do take the brand with a pinch of salt these days. They’ve moved away from their very open and upfront political and environmental views and campaigns and seemed to have tamed. When, now more than ever, we need to be loud, bold and blunt with these messages. 

dustwitch
Bath Submerger

It probably says a lot that I think an ASOS collaboration is a fairly on-brand for them now. They've moved on from the 90s high street hippie do-gooder image, with the unusual fragrances and reliable staple products and latched onto the millennial (not using the term disparagingly, just in generational terms) zero-waste, climate conscious customer who can't quite let go of exclusives, FOMO and popular fragrances. Fuzzy, feel-good activism is an easier sell. It's Lush doing what they have to to stay relevant and keep making money and that's fair, and very clever - it just jars a little when they're still talking about sustainability and ethics while they collaborate with a greenwashed fast fashion company who don't seem to have any qualms about selling from other less ethical brands.