cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unpopular opnion about the Kitchen Boxes

YsorandomxP
Groovy Kind of Lushie

So just wanting to weigh into the debate about the kitchen boxes going on at the moment.

I like the swag and honestly i do not get why people are upset about receiving extra items. I will say that i am not the biggest fan of the actual products inside the box and that for that reason alone this box is underwhelming to me but i do not see why Lush Collectors would be upset by getting more Lush stuff, that just seems like a contradiction.

I understand that it might feel like it isn't advertised, but honestly would it be a surprise if it was? I feel like the demand for swag is at a high and this is Lush's way to fulfill that wish. The argument of it going to a landfill is also absolutely bonkers to me as all the items received as of yet seem to be of natural renewable resources (like the pins aren't even made of metal, you can literally just burn them or compost then). AKA it's still completely within the Lush branding, and ethics.

Isn't the whole thing about the Lush community to be.... well a community who shares their stuff? If you don't care for the pins then why not pass it on to a fellow Lushie who will wear them and enjoy them? Why not trade em for that one bath bomb you've always wanted? 

I do agree however that it would be cool to receive some items with an actual purpuse next time, and that if a swag item is in every box it can be tiring. Something like an exclusive square tin with a print on it, a mug, an exclusive knotwrap or a soap dish would be excelent products to be included (alongside a designated item ofcourse). 

If i may make an educated guess: i think that we have been so spoiled with always receiving 5 great products (with the swag items being the extra item) in the boxes before that people feel let down by only receiving 4 actual products, and see it as the '5th item'. I share your dissapointed, but that's how the cookie crumbles when expensive items are included and whenyou subscribe to a mystery subscription box. I feel like it might've been better to make a small pot o'gold and put another item alongside so #choices on that part.

Thank you on reading all the way trough and by all means feel free to comment down below. I hope this will open up some debate and show Lush not everyone is against the idea, aslong as it's excecuted propperly.

#TeamGrannyTakesADip
1 Accepted Solution

LemonBunny
Ickle Lushie Bot

Re: April’s box - value is the biggest complaint from how I’ve read comments from others and how I feel myself... the 4 bath/shower/skincare items in this box just do not add up to anywhere near £35, which is short-changing subscribers.

Receiving 4 products if one was significantly more expensive would be absolutely reasonable but that is not the situation this month, and the suggestion that ‘swag’ makes up the cost of items (rather than being a bonus) has left many people understandably annoyed. That wasn’t what was advertised when we signed up. 

I don’t subscribe to the box on the basis that I will actively need to trade, sell or give away the items and I don’t imagine many other people do either. The solution is not to leave subscribers at a loss so Lush can change the terms of the subscription. We pay a premium for these boxes, they are a luxury for many and I’m sure lots of people save up for the box and rightfully want to enjoy all of it.

If so many people are crying out for ‘swag’ then Lush could reach those customers directly and many more by selling such items on their website, rather than through what is explicitly a bath/shower/skincare subscription box.

Appreciate you sharing your opinion and hope this helps to give a better understanding of where those of us who are unhappy with and disappointed in the recent box are coming from. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Doddiemae
Bath Submerger

I agree it could have been that better items are included (and love the idea of one's you mention every now and again) but think the disappointment here is the value of the box and that lush had stated that the merch was not an extra and in fact considered as part of the cost. You can never please everyone (such as bath bombs for those with only a shower) but if it was something more useful that had been used to 'top up' the box I think they're would be less complaints and subscribers would still feel that they had got their money's worth - even if they did choose to pass an item on.

I really hope if something is included in a future box it's something relevant that isn't at the cost of another product... Something like a tin like you mentioned to store or goodies in, or container to go alongside a shampoo bar / naked body conditioner etc would actually be really useful! 

YsorandomxP
Groovy Kind of Lushie

Where did you see that Lush stated that? In the digital menu it just looked like an extra item🙃. Also we have to realise that the retail value of the box is about 35 pounds but that it costs lush way less to make it, so they still turn a profit ofcourse so personally i don't mind if they spend a little of what i paid on something extra that is included, considering that item also costs money to produce (except for the stickers lol i'd assume the cost to produce those is englectible).

#TeamGrannyTakesADip

Totally get that I just think there would have been better options if this were the case 🤷🏼‍♀️ a few posts back someone shared what the customer services team responded with when they got in touch. 

LemonBunny
Ickle Lushie Bot

Re: April’s box - value is the biggest complaint from how I’ve read comments from others and how I feel myself... the 4 bath/shower/skincare items in this box just do not add up to anywhere near £35, which is short-changing subscribers.

Receiving 4 products if one was significantly more expensive would be absolutely reasonable but that is not the situation this month, and the suggestion that ‘swag’ makes up the cost of items (rather than being a bonus) has left many people understandably annoyed. That wasn’t what was advertised when we signed up. 

I don’t subscribe to the box on the basis that I will actively need to trade, sell or give away the items and I don’t imagine many other people do either. The solution is not to leave subscribers at a loss so Lush can change the terms of the subscription. We pay a premium for these boxes, they are a luxury for many and I’m sure lots of people save up for the box and rightfully want to enjoy all of it.

If so many people are crying out for ‘swag’ then Lush could reach those customers directly and many more by selling such items on their website, rather than through what is explicitly a bath/shower/skincare subscription box.

Appreciate you sharing your opinion and hope this helps to give a better understanding of where those of us who are unhappy with and disappointed in the recent box are coming from. 

View solution in original post

YsorandomxP
Groovy Kind of Lushie

I agree with the overall value being lower this month, wich is why i'm also underwhelmed and dissapointed with this months box so i totally understand that, however the vocal minority on the forum i've seen complain about receiving swag rather than the outright value of the box. Like the problem isn't the swag included, wich it comes off as what theyr are focussing on, but just the cost of the products that are included. Same thing last month, people were complaining about the items while they did receive a great box with a nice value so it's NEVER great, even if Lush adds a whole notebook in as an extra 🙈.

I do hope that Lush will sell more swag in the future, and not just tee's and totes and patches. I'm a huge fan of pins so i'm exctatic that i finally have a couple now, and i wouldn't mind a mug or something else wich is fun and reusable with the Lush branding. The current problem however is ofcourse Brexit, as many people including myself are also complaining about the import costs of the kitchen box, wich can easily be avoided if it's send from Dusseldorf, so i hope that the swag will also be available on, let's say, the german website (such as some exclusive products are) because that would avoid a hidden cost.

TL;DR i agree that the overal value of the box is low but it feels like people are focussing on the fact that it's because a swag item is included that the value is low instead of the value of the overal box being sub-par. Every subscription box that i've ever had has had a lame month every now and then, and i hope that Lush will be back kicking and punching next month with a great box.

#TeamGrannyTakesADip

I just want to see the costing of how the four bath and shower products add up to £35. We are told they are but I cant get there myself...

I have had such a hard time organizing my thoughts around a few points regarding the most recent box, so forgive me if this is messy.

First of all, full disclosure-I skipped this box, and the few previous boxes. This was mainly due to nothing in the voting options really vibing with my personal tastes, which having the option to skip is wonderful for.  That being said, if I had received these last couple boxes, I would be very angry. 

Buttons/badges, notebooks/pencils are NOT what I expect to see in the boxes, no matter how much Lushies want "swag". At the price point, when the value routinely breaks even at best (any other subscription box I've ever had it is very clear I am *most often* getting more bang for my buck than the cost of the box) I expect more. I know "exclusivity" is something people consider to be part of the cost, and in that case "swag" to me would be kitchen-exclusive knot wraps, tins, a votive candle in a retro scent, Lush-branded back loofahs even-but not badges/pencils/notebooks-which in any other business would be considered promotional handouts. If you wanna chuck something like that in on top of 5 products (or 4 with one being a clearly awesome value), have at it Sis. I feel badly for the people who got these things; if you got them and loved them, that's great-but I don't think these are the sort of items people have in mind when subscribing to a Lush box. 

I am getting the next box as there were enough options in the vote to justify the $70 US cost of the box, whether or not I continue subscribing will be heavily influenced by the upcoming box. Regardless of how personal income varies from one person to the next, and how many can afford to drop cash on stuff like this whenever they want (that is genuinely dope for you!)-the reality is these are bath products. So, for the majority of consumers, they are not essential-they are a luxury, a treat. "Exclusivity" or not, the box needs to be a value. And really, if there's something you really wanted out of a box, let's not front like you can't track that specific item down somewhere. 

The response received from Lush seemed to suggest a lot of this comes down to "we can't really make everyone happy"-which, I don't think anyone expects, and frankly sounds like a bit of a cop-out. We are real people in the real world and understand that's not possible. I think this comes down to value in the box (real value, not me stretching to go "hmmm...I guess I could see this costing $20") and treating your die-hard customers like the VIPs they are. This also means I don't want to feel like I am paying to be used as market research for a soon-to-be mainline product.

Err on the side of giving us more value than less-always. That's how this subscription service will retain customers, even if they don't have a bath and get a bath bomb, or have "too many shower gels", ETC.  We like Lush, we want to Stan-give us the value to recommend this box to others instead of opening it and going "I guess this is okay". Starbucks has a mantra they drill into employees' heads as a guiding principle regarding customers throughout the holiday season-"Surprise and Delight"-adopt this mindset with the boxes and we'll stick around. 

SarahM
Lush Team
Lush Team

I love the lush swag 😍

Jo-Marie
Bath Submerger

Value isn’t just about how much you spend and the rrp of the products. It’s about whether customers are happy to pay for what they end up with.

A £1000k dress on sale for £100 isn’t worth anything if it’s advertised as a 16 but measures an 8.

I am someone who has focussed heavily on the swag because I would never have signed up if they were transparent about including it. It goes against my ethics as a consumer, and reduces the value the box has to me. Even if there was £30 extra worth of swag, I don’t want to pay for products that make me feel guilty. I subscribe to feel good.